DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 19 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Groningen gas production to be further reduced, despite energy crisis

September 27, 2022
Photo: Depositphotos.com
Photo: Depositphotos.com

The Dutch government will extract a maximum of 2.8 billion cubic metres of gas from under Groningen province between now and October 2023, mines minister Hans Vijlbrief told MPs on Tuesday.

All 11 fields will remain ‘technically’ open and a decision will be taken next April on closing six of them, Vijlbrief said in his briefing.

The Groningen fields are due to shut down completely because of the earthquakes which are being caused as the land settles once gas has been removed. The fields will be closed in 2023 or 2024, if the geo-political situation allows it, Vijlbrief said.

Vijlbrief said he would only sanction an increase in gas extraction is if hospitals had trouble ensuring proper heating and if people’s safety was at risk this winter.

The government had been urged to reopen the fields to meet demand caused by the war in Ukraine and the energy crisis.

In the year to this October, some 4.5 billion cubic metres of gas was produced from the Groningen fields. The fields are capable of supplying some 25 billion cubic metres of gas a year.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Uncategorized
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Jetten sends in expert team to councils hit by anti-asylum riots
Air-raid sirens to fall silent from 2028 as cabinet cuts funding
Long queues continue at Schiphol as security firms change hands
Dutch tax office to tighten checks after €6.7m DigiD fraud
Council of State: planned rules for political parties go too far
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now