The Dutch foreign ministry has confirmed that a nine-year-old girl from Breda has drowned after her hair began entangled in a swimming pool grill on a campsite in the south west of France.
The accident happened at a campsite in Les Sables-d’Olonne in the Vendée district of France.
Local media report that the girl was unable to free her hair from the installation, which was sucking water into a mushroom waterfall in the pool, and that the lifeguard was unable to revive her. She was taken to a specialist children’s hospital in Nantes but was declared dead by doctors.
A spokesman for Chatodel, which runs the campsite reservation system, told the AD it was the first time such an accident had happened at the swimming pool, which has now been closed.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation