Voting has started to elect the 2021 Word of the Year, dictionary maker Van Dale has announced, with only four of the 15 the contenders unrelated to coronavirus.
Boosterprik, deltavariant, prikspijt (vaccine regret) and wappiegeluid (comments made by conspiracy theorists) are in with a chance, while potential non-pandemic winners could include gevoeligheidslezer (sensitivity reader), woonprotest (protest against housing shortage), finfluencer (financial influencer) and memeaandeel (meme stock).
The 2020 word of the year – anderhalvemetersamenleving (1.5 metre society) – was also related to the pandemic and gained 30% of the vote.
The complete list for 2021 is:
- Boosterprik: booster shot
- Deltavariant: dominant variant (until now) in 2021
- Doorbraakinfectie: breakthrough infection.
- Finfluencer: social media financial advisor.
- Gevoeligheidslezer: sensitivity reader.
- Grotsyndroom: cave syndrome, the angst caused by social isolation.
- Intimiteitsvacuüm: intimacy vacuum.
- Memeaandeel: meme stock.
- Pandemocratie: combo of pandemic and democracy.
- Prikpolarisatie: polarisation about jabs.
- Prikspijt: vaccine regret.
- QR-samenleving: QR-code society.
- Vaccinatievoordringer: vaccination queue jumper.
- Wappiegeluid: misleading comments made by conspiracy theorists.
- Woonprotest: protest against housing shortage and speculation.
You have until December 20 to vote.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation