New Years Eve fireworks: more cities bring in bans, but what will Amsterdam do?
Several of the Netherlands biggest cities are pressing ahead with a total firework ban at New Year, but Amsterdam and Eindhoven have not yet finalised their position, news website Nu.nl said on Friday.
Amsterdam had previously pledged to ban fireworks in 2020 but changed its mind because of policing problems during the pandemic. The situation this year remains unclear and the city’s website section on New Year is currently empty.
Rotterdam and Nijmegen have already said they will ban consumer fireworks entirely, while Utrecht will do so next year. The Hague, Breda, Tilburg, Almere and Groningen will still allow consumers to set off fireworks, but will also expand the number of firework free zones, Nu.nl said.
A nationwide ban on the sale of more dangerous fireworks, including firecrackers and rockets, was introduced last year, and further restrictions were also imposed because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Nevertheless, the ban was widely flouted and hundreds of people were injured and dozens of cars set on fire. However, the police and the emergency services were called out some 30% fewer times than during ‘normal’ New Year celebrations, officials said.
Last year’s New Year fireworks ban also resulted in a 70% drop in firework related injuries.
Despite the bans the pyrotechnic sector say expects sales this year to be back at 2019 levels, when consumers spent €77m on fireworks.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation