Ministers back a complete fireworks ban for the coming New Year celebrations, sources in The Hague have told broadcaster NOS.
The issue is likely to be discussed during talks with health experts on progress being made to reduce the number of coronavirus infections on Tuesday, NOS said, and a final decision is likely to be taken at Friday’s cabinet meeting.
Ministers are also discussing how to deal with the financial fall-out and do not want to go public with the ban until this has been finalised, NOS said. Dutch consumers spend some €70m on fireworks during the celebrations, buying them from specialist dealers during a three day window at the end of the year.
The 25 Dutch public safety regions said last week they supported a total ban on New Year fireworks and police have also called for a moratorium on fireworks this year, to reduce pressure on the emergency services and hospitals.
Two people died and almost 1,300 people were treated for firework-related injuries during this year’s festivities.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation