Education minister Arie Slob has gone into quarantine after a member of his staff tested positive for coronavirus.
Slob was notified of the infection during a debate in parliament on media law. The debate was immediately abandoned and the meeting room where it was being held was cleared.
The 58-year-old said he ‘felt fine’, but would go into self-isolation immediately for 10 days as required by the government’s Covid-19 rules. He is the first member of the Dutch cabinet to have to quarantine as a result of a coronavirus infection.
‘During the debate I received a message from one of my colleagues stating that the person had been diagnosed with coronavirus,’ he said. ‘Not long afterwards I was notified by the Coronamelder app that I had been in contact with someone who has corona.
‘I have made some enquiries and the outcome is that I must now leave the debate and go into quarantine, as the rules say.’
Slob said on Twitter he would take a coronavirus test ‘as soon as possible’, but later qualified it by adding ‘as soon as I have symptoms’. Only people with symptoms can book in for a PCR test for Covid-19.
Ik ga in quarantaine. De app CoronaMelder heeft mij gewaarschuwd. Een medewerker blijkt positief getest op het coronavirus. Ik laat me zo snel mogelijk testen. Ik werk door vanuit huis.
— Arie Slob (@arieslob) October 26, 2020
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation