DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 23 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Dutch offer search and rescue help to Lebanon, as blast death toll mounts

August 5, 2020
Piles of rubble fill Beirut's streets. Photo: Marwan Tahtah/APA Images via ZUMA Wire/ANP

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on Google
Piles of rubble fill Beirut’s streets. Photo: Marwan Tahtah/APA Images via ZUMA Wire/ANP

The Netherlands has joined a string of countries pledging help to Lebanon in the wake of Tuesday evening’s explosion in Beirut which left at least 100 people dead and 4,000 injured.

Trade minister Sigrid Kaag, who worked for the UN in Lebanon prior to joining the government, said on Twitter that Beirut is ‘a dear city to me’ and that her thoughts are with colleagues and family in the city.

In particular, the Netherlands will provide assistance in the search and rescue operation, and that the Lebanese Red Cross can count on immediate Dutch support as well, the minister said.

Foreign minister Stef Blok said he was shocked by the explosion while prime minister Mark Rutte spoke of ‘a terrible disaster’.

All Beirut was shaken by the blast, which began with a fire at the port which then exploded. President Michel Aoun said later that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate had been stored in a warehouse at the port for six years.

Several Dutch embassy workers in the city were injured in explosion.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Society
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Dutch agree to ban import in goods from Occupied Territories
US tech firms share Dutch regulator officials’ names with senate
Two Dutch men arrested for aiding Russian cyberattacks
All 27 on board Hondius test negative for hantavirus
Minister wants answers from councils with no refugee housing
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now