The number of confirmed cases of coronavirus in the Netherlands rose by 46 to 128 on Friday, eight days after the disease was first diagnosed.
Of the 128 patients, 101 were either infected abroad or are contacts of confirmed patients, the public health institute RIVM said. Northern Italy, where many Dutch people go to ski during the winter half term holidays, has been a primary source so far.
Five of the new patients have been hospitalised and the rest treated at home.
Earlier on Friday, the RIVM said that one patient, an 86-year-old man, has died. The man was being treated in quarantine at the Ikazia Ziekenhuis in Rotterdam after his diagnose was confirmed last week. Officials do not yet know how he contracted the virus.
The RIVM says anyone who has been in a high risk area within the last 14 days and who develops breathing problems or a cough should stay home and alert their family doctor.
So far Houten, near Utrecht, and Rotterdam have the most confirmed cases – nine each – and there have been eight in Utrecht. There have been two cases in Diemen (Amsterdam) and three in The Hague.
Meanwhile, 15 Dutch tourists who had been stranded at a hotel in Tenerife have arrived back in the Netherlands after their quarantine was lifted. All will continue to be monitored for the next two weeks.
Local media also report that two school pupils, one in Amersfoort and one in Haarlem, have been diagnosed with coronavirus, both of whom were on holiday in northern Italy during the winter break.
Most of the Dutch cases can be traced back to Italy, where many families were skiing during half term. Both schools remain open.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation