DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 21 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Dutch coronavirus death toll jumps to 43, confirmed cases rise over 20%

March 17, 2020
Leiden station is deserted. Photo: Brandon Hartley

See more Dutchnews articles in your google search results

Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on Google
Leiden station is deserted. Photo: Brandon Hartley

The coronavirus has claimed more victims in the Netherlands, with the death toll rising from 24 to 43 since Monday, according to the latest update from public health institute RIVM.

The patients who have died so far were aged 63 to 94 and had underlying health issues, the RIVM said. The age of the youngest victim had been erroneously given as 59 on Monday.

The number of confirmed infections has risen by 292 to 1,705. That total includes 389 people who work in healthcare and who are tested more often than the general population.

The health agency has changed the way it illustrates the spread of the disease on its interactive map, marking instead the number of infections per 100,000 of the population.

Noord Brabant still has far more infections than anywhere else in the country, with a total of 634 confirmed cases. Limburg has the second most victims with 197 and Zuid-Holland 175.

It is still too early to determine what the effect of the new government measures to control the virus, including the closure of cafes and bars, has been, the RIVM said.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Health
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Court convicts Taghi lawyer but does not send her back to jail
Dutch royals pose for summer portraits in The Hague
Refugees sleep outside as accommodation crisis worsens
More Dutch households are worrying about mortgage costs
A hot, sunny weekend ahead and there is more to come
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now