Online supermarkets on up but Dutch still get their bikes out to shop

Supermarket Albert Heijn has come in at number three in the Twinkle top 100 of most popular online retailers.

The list, collated by the digital commerce platform and Amsterdam’s hbo college, is based on annual turnover, and shows that grocery shopping at internet supermarkets is becoming increasingly popular.

Although Albert Heijn is still far from joining the league of numbers one and two – and Coolblue – online supermarket webshops such as Albert Heijn, Jumbo and Picnic are seeing double-figure increases in sales.

The Jumbo supermarket chain is currently in 10th place while Picnic went up from 25th to 11th place.

‘Supermarkets are doing well but we mustn’t exaggerate,’ retail expert Laurens Sloot told broadcaster NOS. ‘Of all our supermarket purchases, 4% are made online. By 2030 that could grow to 10% but that means we still get our bikes out and cycle to the nearest supermarket for the remaining 90%.’

Sloot also commented that supermarket delivery services are still loss-making for supermarkets and that this is affecting growth.

Acccording to figures from e-commerce watchdog the Dutch will be spending almost €26bn on online purchases in 2019.

Thank you for donating to

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation