Father killed, mother and child serious ill after carbon monoxide leak

Photo: depositphotos
photo: Depositphotos.com

One man has died and two people have been hospitalised in a critical condition due to carbon monoxide poisoning at a terraced house in Doesburg.

The emergency services were called out around 7am after a man, woman and child were found unconscious. All three were taken to hospital where the man later died.

According to the AD, the house is lived in by a refugee family from Ethiopia with 12 children. The family have lived in Doesburg for seven years.

Carbon monoxide is spread by defective central heating boilers, poor ventilation and blocked-up chimneys. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include sleepiness, headaches and nausea.

Every year one or two people are killed by the gas in the Netherlands and several dozen taken to hospital.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation