Many former defence ministry workers are unhappy at the compensation package agreed for people who became ill after working with toxic paint, broadcaster RTL said on Wednesday.
Many have diseases which are not covered by the deal or say that the cash payout is inadequate to cover their problems, the broadcaster said. Around 100 soldiers were discussing the issue at a meeting in Roermond to outline details of the compensation agreement.
The defence ministry said on Monday that it will give financial compensation to hundreds of people who became ill after using highly carcinogenic paints at five maintenance depots after admitting liability for the scandal.
The deal ranges from €5,000 to €40,000 in damages plus €3850 towards medical costs but only workers with proscribed illnesses can benefit.
Last week it emerged that the defence ministry had kept quiet about health issues which hundreds of armed forces engineers have reported after being exposed to paint containing high levels of toxic Chromium 6.
They had been involved in maintaining American Nato equipment at five bases between 1984 and 2006.
The research, by the public health institute RIVM, showed that the defence ministry was aware of the health problems since 1973 but had had not shared this with doctors or soldiers.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation