DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 24 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Dutch finance minister under fire again as he ‘snubs’ European parliament

April 4, 2017

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on Google

Dutch finance minister and Eurogroup chairman Jeroen Dijsselbloem has come under fire again in the European parliament for refusing to show up to discuss the Greek crisis.

French Christian Democrat MEP Alain Lamassoure even went as far as to say Dijsselbloem should be declared ‘persona non grata’ at all EU parliamentary buildings, news agency ANP reported.

The MEPs are furious that Dijsselbloem refused to debate the Greek crisis with them, with condemnation coming from across the political spectrum.

Parliamentary chairman Antonio Tajani said he will lodge a ‘formal protest‘ at the snub. ‘Unanimous condemnation by @Europarl_EN against @J_Dijsselbloem for the umpteenth refusal to answer questions on sacrifices made by our citizens,’ Tajani said on Twitter.

Dijsselbloem, who will meet fellow European finance minister’s at the Malta summit on Friday, said he could not attend the debate because of a scheduling conflict.

Support

According to the Telegraaf, Dijsselbloem had ‘politely’ made his excuses to the European parliament by letter, explaining he could not come to parliament because he is also now an MP in the Dutch lower house and had other obligations.

‘Of course it is right to have a good relationship with the parliament,’ the Telegraaf quoted him as saying.

‘But the support for me personally depends on the Eurogroup and the ministers it represents. I have spoken to many of them in the past week and their support is extremely wide.’

January

The row comes as Dijsselbloem has been sounding out member states about the option of staying on at the Eurogroup until next January, even though he will soon lose the finance ministry job.

He also came under fire last month for telling the Frankfurther Allgemeine Zeitung that solidarity between EU members involved getting budgets under control. ‘I cannot spend all my money on drink and women and then ask for help,’ Dijsselbloem is quoted as saying.

Southern European countries, which have been relying on financial help from the richer north, attacked Dijsselbloem for the slur. Dijsselbloem later attributed his comments to ‘Dutch directness’. ‘If people were offended, then I apologise,’ Dijsselbloem said.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Europe
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Ajax grab last European place with shoot-out win against Utrecht
Dutch agree to ban import in goods from Occupied Territories
US tech firms share Dutch regulator officials’ names with senate
Two Dutch men arrested for aiding Russian cyberattacks
All 27 on board Hondius test negative for hantavirus
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now