DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English

19 February 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Podcast
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Local elections
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Local elections
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Podcast
  • About us
    • Team
    • Donate
    • Advertise
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Contact us
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Consumer group launches legal action against NS for overcrowding

January 26, 2017
Photo: Jonathan Marks

A consumer protest group in the Netherlands has launched a damages claim on behalf of rail users who are forced to stand on long journeys in over-full trains.

ConsumentenClaim says it represents more than 10,000 rail users who have been forced to stand or wait for the next train because they are too full. A year of negotiations with NS about compensation has failed to bring results, the organisation says.

NS said in a reaction that going ‘American’ will not bring it any closer to solving the problems. The organisation is only out for money, while the NS is doing all it can to reduce overcrowding, spokesman Erik Kroeze told NOS news.

Last year, 26 new trains were introduced and a further 30 will be added to the fleet this year, Kroeze said. In total, NS is spending €2.5bn on new trains.

No action

The NS pledges that passengers on intercity trains will not have to stand for more than 15 minutes.

ConsumentenClaim studied the 20 minute Utrecht-Amsterdam route for three weeks at the end of last year and found more than half of passengers had to stand for more than 15 minutes. In addition, people were regularly told to wait for the next train because it was too full.

ConsumentenClaim director Stef Smit says the NS knew that overcrowding was an issue in 2014 but failed to take action in time.

Share this article
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Economy
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Schiphol scraps 100 flights as snow and ice hit Netherlands
At least 21 Dutch “lone soldiers” joined Israeli Defense Force
Van ’t Wout brothers add silver and bronze to Dutch medal haul
International energy: Volt event begins local election drive
T20 World Cup: Valiant Dutch bow out with 17-run loss to India
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingLocal elections
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
About usTeamDonateAdvertiseWriting for Dutch NewsContact usPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now