Three children were taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning on Tuesday evening, after lighting a barbecue to try to warm their cold house. The gas and electricity were reportedly off to due non-payment, reports 1Limburg news service, and the parents were at work.
The children, thought to be from six to 14 years old, were alone in their house in Stein, in the southernmost province of Limburg. One child was knocked out by the poisonous vapour, and a tragedy was averted as the others called for help from their neighbours, a fire brigade spokesman told 1Limburg.
This child was rushed to hospital and the other two followed later. Their condition is not known. The spokesman added that the parents were informed and rushed home.
Maaskant Wonen, the housing organisation that rents the family a house, told 1Limburg that the power had been shut off due to debts. The family is now staying with friends, and the local government is reportedly investigating how to help them.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation