A 29-year-old British man, arrested at gunpoint in Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport on January 1 for making a ‘bomb threat’ will not face legal proceedings, the public prosecution department said on Saturday.
The man has been released from custody and has returned to Britain, the department said in a statement.
Dutch media reported on Friday the man had been arrested after saying he had a bomb, leading to the closure of part of a departures hall. Sniffer dogs failed to find any explosives on the man, in his luggage or in the surrounding area.
According to the public prosecutor’s statement, a check-in desk worker first reported hearing that the man had said something about a bomb. ‘It would appear that in the commotion other people reported hearing this, but when questioned again, this was not the case,’ the statement said.
‘The man had a fight with his girlfriend in the departure hall … and was under the influence of both alcohol and drugs,’ the statement said.
The department said that the reaction of both the check-in desk worker and the military police was understandable and professional, given ‘the heightened state of alert at places such as airports’.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation