The government is to reduce the volume of natural gas extracted from under Groningen province again next year, following a recent Council of State ruling.
The Council of State last month said a maximum of 27 billion cubic metres of gas may be extracted next year, compared with 33 billion cubic metres in 2015, pending a government rethink.
The cut will have a €1.5bn impact on the treasury, finance minister Jeroen Dijsselbloem said after Friday’s cabinet meeting. However, it will not lead to extra spending cuts.
‘The more the gas supply is reduced, the more it costs us. But this is essential to make sure Groningen is safe,’ Dijsselbloem said.
Tens of thousands of homes in the province have to be shored up because of the damage caused by earthquakes as the ground settles when the gas has been taken out.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation