A 15-year-old girl from Sittard, held in a youth detention centre on suspicion of being a member of a terrorist gang, has been released into the care of social services.
A court in Rotterdam said on Thursday the girl should no longer be held in secure accommodation. Her lawyer, Björn Brinkman, told news agency ANP the girl will receive ‘help and guidance’.
The public prosecution department said the girl is not suspected of involvement in a ‘specific attack’ but would not say if she had plans to go to Syria or Iraq. Nor would they say if other people had been arrested in connection with the case, ANP reports.
The Telegraaf said on Wednesday, quoting ‘well-informed sources’, that the girl is of Somali origin and had lived in Sittard for some time with her mother and brother.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation