A 52-year-old man is being questioned in connection with an explosion in Amsterdam West in the early hours of Wednesday morning, the Parool reports.
The man was seen driving away from the scene after the blast and his car found later in the city centre, the paper said.
Police are investigating the apparent explosion which may have been caused by a ‘projectile’, broadcaster Nos said earlier on Wednesday morning.
The blast rocked the Fannius Scholtenstraat around 05.00 and blew out windows in at least two homes. Three parked cars were also damaged.
No one was hurt but eyewitnesses report hearing a loud bang. An hour earlier there had been another loud noise, Nos said, and police are investigating if there is a connection between the two.
Police have so far declined to make any comment on the nature of the ‘projectile’ or say anything else about the incident. The area was sealed off for several hours for forensic checks and police are still appealing for witnesses.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation