DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 23 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Groningen gas chief says turning the gas taps down is a political decision

June 26, 2015

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

See more DutchNews articles in your Google search results

Add as a favourite source on Google Add DutchNews as a favourite source on Google

gaswinning slochteren,locatie eemskanaal,The head of the company charged with extracting gas from the large reserves under Groningen province has told the Volkskrant he considers the risks associated with the drilling are ‘acceptable’.

Gerald Schotman, who heads the Nederlandse Aardolie Maatschappij (NAM) – a joint venture between Shell and ExxonMobil – told the paper he sees no reason for the company to reduce the amount of gas being extracted off its own back.

‘I look to see if the risks are acceptable,’ Schotman told the paper. ‘That is my job as NAM director. And they are. So there is no reason for me to limit production.’

The government earlier this week announced a further cut in an effort to reduce the risk of earthquakes, which are causing considerable damage to thousands of homes.

‘It would not be right if we reduced extraction levels off our own back because it reduces income for the treasury,’ Schotman said. However, Schotman declined to comment on the government’s move. ‘It is a political decision. The minister has many reasons,’ he told the paper.

Day and night

The damage caused by the gas extraction is occupying him ‘day and night’ he told the paper. ‘Some situations are desperate. People have all sorts of problems and on top of these are confronted with earthquakes. That has a impact on me,’ he told the paper.

Schotman said he recognises that NAM is not a popular company in the province. ‘I understand the criticism. We have known gas extraction can cause earthquakes for decades. But we’ve only recently realised these quakes are a security risk. That is what we are now working on.’

The Dutch safety board said in a damning report in February that the economic affairs ministry, drilling company NAM and the Dutch mining body ignored safety concerns in their pursuit of profit.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Economy
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Dutch agree to ban import in goods from Occupied Territories
US tech firms share Dutch regulator officials’ names with senate
Two Dutch men arrested for aiding Russian cyberattacks
All 27 on board Hondius test negative for hantavirus
Minister wants answers from councils with no refugee housing
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now