The Netherlands will not bring any more Syrian refugees to the Netherlands above the 500 emergency cases it has already agreed to accept, junior justice minister Fred Teeven has told the Telegraaf.
MPs had urged Teeven to agree that a further 250 refugees should be brought to the Netherlands under an international agreement.
However, Teeven says the available accommodation for refugees is running out and that many ‘desperate cases’ are already being housed in the Netherlands.
‘I think it important to note that 14 months ago, when MPs voted in favour of the increase, we did not have a waiting list for places of 9,600,’ Teeven told the paper. ‘The situation today is different.’
Meanwhile, the mayor of the village of Oranje in Drenthe has said he will only agree to more refugees being housed in a holiday park next to the village if there is no nuisance to locals.
Officials earlier agreed to freeze the number of refugees in the park at 596 people, even though capacity is far higher. Ton Baas told a council meeting on Monday night he would approve a gradual increase to 1,000 as long as there is no disruption to the village – which has just 140 residents.
The village council is opposed to any further increase. Last month, a number of men were moved from the holiday park after locals reported problems.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation