Belgian justice department officials have denied finding explosives in the Brussels home of two alleged jihadists from The Hague and said there were no concrete plans to attack the European Commission, the NRC reports on Monday.
They have, however, confirmed the arrest of a Dutch couple of Turkish origin on their return from Turkey early last month, the NRC reports.
Broadcaster Nos said at the weekend the couple had been arrested. The AD said on Monday that explosives had been found at their home.
The Belgian officials said that searches on the couple’s home in Brussels uncovered two bullet proof vests and a revolver but no explosives.
‘In one of the Dutch homes which were searched, material was found which had the potential to be used in the construction of an explosive but no actual explosives were found,’ the statement said, as quoted by the NRC.
Nor was there any evidence the European Commission was a concrete target.
‘It was established that certain people lived at an address close to certain European institutions but there are as yet no serious indications… of a concrete plan for a bomb attack,’ the NRC quotes the statement as saying.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation