Ajax stops prominent youth volunteer after abuse claim
Amsterdam football club Ajax has stopped a prominent member from working for the club altogether after allegations of sexual abuse, the Volkskrant reports on Tuesday.
The decision was taken together with the man who agrees with the decision, Ajax told the Volkskrant in a statement.
The man, a volunteer, has been active for the club for 30 years and had many jobs in which he came into contact with young players.
Last year, when the allegations first surfaced, he was banned from the changing rooms and having contact with young players.
The claim against the man surfaced when a former player gave a sworn statement that he had been abused by the man.
An independent bureau was brought in to assess the claim but said it was unfounded. Nevertheless, the man was a potential risk and was guilty of behaviour which crossed boundaries, the bureau said.
The man, who’s identity is known to the paper, said via a lawyer that he will accept the club’s decision but had never been guilty of ‘sexually unacceptable behaviour’.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation