Some 30 people taken to hospital in carbon monoxide scare

Some 30 people, including several children, have been taken to hospital after too-high levels of carbon monoxide were recorded in their homes in Rotterdam Zuid.

The fire brigade was alerted around midnight. A number of people had been complaining of headaches for several days, Nos television said.


People were taken to hospital by ambulances but eventually a bus was used as the number of people with complaints increased.


The source of the carbon monoxide was traced to a café heating boiler, which was next to a broken window opening on to the apartment complex hall.


People were allowed to return home after the fire brigade gave the all-clear at around 03.00 hours.

Thank you for donating to

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation