Dutch researchers identify more breast cancer gene mutations

Dutch researchers have developed a test which gives more information about the risks associated with mutations of a breast cancer gene, news agency ANP said on Wednesday.

Researchers at the Antoni van Leeuwenhoek hospital in Amsterdam are working on the test which will give patients more information about which mutations of the gene are likely to lead to cancer, allowing doctors to give more targeted treatment, ANP said.

The test focuses on mutations of the BRCA gene. Scientists know whether 90% of the mutations will lead to cancer or not, but have so far been unable to determine the risks attached to the other 10%. The Dutch researchers’ test allows this to be established for 74 of these unknown mutations, ANP said.

‘The test is important to allow decisions about check-ups and eventual preventative operations,’ researcher Jos Jonkers is quoted as saying in a statement. The test is so far only available for research purposes.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation