Minister orders safety inquiry into scandal hit Dutch meat sector
The economic affairs ministry has ordered a wide-ranging investigation into the Dutch meat sector, following a string of food safety scandals.
Junior minister Sharon Dijksma has told the safety research council to look into the risks and ways of working across the sector, including the performance of government departments.
Production and processing will also come under the spotlight. The report is due to be finalised by the end of this year.
‘The size of incidents and their public and economic impact’ led to the decision to launch the inquiry, Dijksma said.
Meanwhile, it emerged on Wednesday that most of the 50 million kilos of potentially contaminated meat which the food safety inspectorate recalled earlier this month ‘is no longer in the market’.
The meat was sold by a Dutch meat trader in Oss to hundreds of companies in the Netherlands and abroad over the past two years.
The recall was launched two weeks ago because of fears the meat may have been mixed with horse flesh. Ministers say there is no risk to health.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation