The three men arrested in Romania in connection with the theft of seven very valuable paintings from Rotterdam’s Kunsthal museum last year will face trial in Romania itself, Nos television said on Wednesday.
The public prosecution department has said it will not try to have the men extradited to the Netherlands to face trial but did not give any reasoning, the broadcaster said. Dutch police have been in Romania to question the men.
Legal experts told RTL news they thought it strange and illogical that the men were not being tried in the Netherlands.
A 19-year-old Romanian woman arrested in the Netherlands in connection with the theft will go on trial here. She is considered to be an accomplice who looked after the paintings after the heist.
Seven paintings, including works by Matisse and Picasso, were stolen in an overnight raid on the museum on October 16. None of the works have been recovered and the mother of one of the defendants told a local Romanian broadcaster she had destroyed two to help her son.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation