A Dutch national is in intensive care after becoming infected with a virulent form of the E-coli bacteria while in Germany, the public health body RIVM said on Thursday.
Three people have died in Germany following the outbreak. More than 350 cases or suspected cases of EHEC infection have been registered and several people are in a critical condition.
The source of the outbreak has yet to be established but there are suggestions unwashed salad stuff may be the cause.
The Dutch food safety body VWA is currently checking if vegetables imported from Germany are infected.
According to the World Health Organisation, E-coli is a bacterium that is commonly found in the gut of humans and warm-blooded animals and most strains are harmless. Some, such as EHEC, can cause abdominal cramps and diarrhoea, and even renal failure.
It is transmitted to humans primarily through consumption of contaminated foods, such as raw or undercooked ground meat products and raw milk.
For more on the German outbreak, click here
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation