Three dogs, which died after swimming off freshwater beaches in Flevoland province, were killed by blue-green algae, a micro organism that can affect the liver and nervous system when found in high concentrations.
Blue-green algae becomes a problem when water levels are low and after long periods of drought.
Officials have now closed several beaches in the province.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation