The Netherlands hopes to become part of the Nato team monitoring the no-fly zone over Libya as soon as possible, prime minister Mark Rutte told reporters on Thursday evening.
The government will draft a proposal aimed at winning parliamentary approval ‘as soon as possible’, he said.
During Wednesday evening’s debate, a large majority of MPs voted for Dutch involvement in monitoring the weapons embargo and ministers expect the same result for the no-fly zone campaign.
The Netherlands has sent six F16 jet fighters to Sardinia to be used in controlling the arms embargo. The Netherlands will not be involved in any bombing, the prime minister said, reiterating the cabinet’s position.
After several days of dissention, Nato has agreed to take command of enforcing the no-fly zone over Libya from the US. The handover could take place as early as this weekend, according to the BBC.
Rutte had earlier on Thursday criticised the slow Nato decision-making process. The Netherlands said last week it is only prepared to take action in Libya under Nato command.
Should the Netherlands get involved? Take part in our poll
MPs back Libyan decision and agree to sent planes
Dutch wait for Nato on Libya
International news coverage
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation