The defence ministry is considering scrapping its submarine sector, cutting plans to buy new planes and possibly reducing the size of its fleet in order to meet government spending targets, the Telegraaf reports on Thursday.
The paper bases its claims on a leaked draft plan which looks at the various options open to the ministry. Sources have told the paper the ministry is using a €1bn budget cut as the basis for its calculations.
A spokesman for the defence ministry told the paper that figure is ‘rubbish’. ‘There is not a single document with any official status,’ he said.
Last year, defence minister Hans Hillen said the armed forces would have to make swingeing cuts and that no sector was taboo.
The definitive plan is due in March, the paper says.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation