The first of some 3,000 Dutch tourists to be repatriated from Egypt arrived back in the early hours of Monday morning.
Holiday companies are bringing home holidaymakers following the government’s decision to advise against any travel to Egypt, as the protests against the government continue.
Dutch nationals who live in the country are being advised to ‘consider leaving the country under their own steam’ and register their presence with the Dutch embassy.
‘The television makes it look scary but we did not notice a thing,’ Mieke Stapper, who was on holiday with her husband in Hurghada, told the Telegraaf.
‘We had no internet access and were not allowed to leave the hotel compound,’ Dagmar Faddegon, who was in Sharm el-Sheikh told the paper. ‘We wanted to know what was going on… but the hotel staff were not allowed to talk about politics. They said everything was okay.’
Four women, who had been planning their holiday together for 10 years, told the AD they cried when they were told they had to leave. ‘It was a fantastic three days,’one said. Some tourists were told they had just one hour to get ready to leave, the paper said.
TUI had some 1,600 tourists in popular resorts and Thomas Cook a further 1,500.
Several Dutch companies are also bringing out staff. Heineken is evacuating 29 workers, a spokesman confirmed on Sunday afternoon. News agency Reuters says sources have told it Shell is preparing to bring home some 60 families.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation