Three Amsterdam men wanted in Belgium on terror charges are no longer under suspicion of preparing a terror attack on Nato or Jewish targets there, the Parool reported at the weekend.
But the three, arrested at the end of November on Belgium’s request, are still under investigation for recruiting for jihad, or holy war, the paper said. The three went to eastern Turkey together last year.
All three have denied any involvment in terrorism and are fighting the extradition charges. The court will rule on the extradition request at the end of January.
Meanwhile, nine Somalis arrested on December 24 on terrorism charges are to be paid compensation, the public prosecution department said.
The amount of money was not made public. The nine will also be given official documents in Dutch, English and Somali stating they were not involved in preparing terrorist attacks.
In total, 12 men were arrested following a tip-off from the AIVD security service. All have since been released from custody but three are still under investigation.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation