Royal attack: investigation continues (update)
The investigation into Karst Tates’ motives for driving his black Suzuki car into the crowd watching the royal motorcade during the Queen’s Day celebrations still remains unclear on Monday.
The newspapers are full of speculation about the reasons for the attack.
The Telegraaf reports that crown prince Willem-Alexander and princess Máxima were Tates’ real target, quoting police sources. The paper says Tates spoke to military police staff after his car smashed into the obelisk close to the royal bus and repeated their names.
This statement is considered essential to the investigation, the paper says.
At the weekend the paper reported that Tates had told his parents he would see them at a family gathering on Sunday.
Tates died of his injuries in hospital on Friday.
The investigation is also focusing on claims that Tates was about to lose his home because he could no longer afford the €580 rent after losing his job.
A friend of Tates’ family told the FD he believed the attack was one of desperation. ‘He had nothing left; no money, no house, no social contacts,’ the family friend said.
The AD also reports that Tates told an old neighbour he felt his life had no purpose. The neighbour met Tates in a cafe in Velp where he used to live.
‘He had been smoking weed and that made him more open than normal,’ the neighbour said. ‘He said that he ‘did not have to be in this world where everything must’,’ the neighbour quoted Tates as saying. ‘If I don’t have a house, that is it, then maybe I will do something stupid.’
Will Queen’s Day ever be the same again? To take part in our poll, click here
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.
We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.Make a donation