Sneaked cigarette causes fire alert

A Nijmegen city councillor who sneaked an illicit cigarette break inside the building during a council meeting on Wednesday night caused a major fire scare, news agency ANP reports.

The fire brigade was called out and the council building evacuated because of the smoke alert.

Thank you for donating to

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation