A second Dutch-Moroccan man has died fighting with rebel forces in Syria, Nos television said on Thursday.
The victim is said to be a 20-year-old from Delft or Rotterdam named Sofian, the broadcaster said.
On Wednesday it emerged another young jihadist from Delft had died last week.
The Dutch counter terrorism unit said earlier around 100 jihadists had left the Netherlands for Syria and other countries in recent months. The increased radicalisation of young Dutch Muslims is reason to raise the risk of attack from limited to substantial, the NCTV said.
The chairman of the Dutch multicultural think-tank Forum told the broadcaster it is not a surprise that Dutch young men are being killed. ‘There are a lot of youths who have a romantic idea about fighting in Syria. But in reality they are cannon fodder,’ Sadik Harchaoui said.
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl
The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.
DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.