Saturday 31 July 2021

Dutch police arrest three men who planned to fight in Syria

Three radical Muslims who planned to travel to Syria to take part in ‘armed jihad’ have been arrested in Rotterdam, the public prosecution department said on Friday.


Raids on the men’s homes in Rotterdam uncovered a quantity of weapons, including a crossbow and sword as well as farewell letters, packed rucksacks and jihadist texts. Homes lived in by families of the men in Utrecht and Dordrecht were also searched.
The investigation into the three, aged 22, 23 and 33, began last month after a security service alert, the public prosecutor said. The three were not involved in any earlier investigations into terrorism in the Netherlands.
Two of the men had been booked on a flight from Brussels to Turkey on Thursday afternoon and then planned to travel on to the Syrian border. An earlier flight which all three had planned to take to Turkey was cancelled.
The department said one of the men had last week married a Muslim woman he had only recently met online. He posed on a photograph for her holding an AK-47 machine gun and had told her ‘I hope we will die together and go to paradise’.

Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl

The DutchNews.nl team would like to thank all the generous readers who have made a donation in recent weeks. Your financial support has helped us to expand our coverage of the coronavirus crisis into the evenings and weekends and make sure you are kept up to date with the latest developments.

DutchNews.nl has been free for 14 years, but without the financial backing of our readers, we would not be able to provide you with fair and accurate news and features about all things Dutch. Your contributions make this possible.

If you have not yet made a donation, but would like to, you can do so via Ideal, credit card or Paypal.