DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 19 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Mayors, police renew calls for a nationwide firework ban

January 2, 2023
Firework remains in Amsterdam. Photo: DutchNews.nl
Firework remains in Amsterdam. Photo: DutchNews.nl

Mayors from across the Netherlands have renewed calls for a total ban on consumer fireworks, following the problems during this year’s New Year festivities.

Amsterdam mayor Femke Halsema described the situation in the capital, where the ban on fireworks was widely ignored, as ‘tense and busy’ with ‘far more arrests’ than last year.

The mayor also made a new appeal to the government to ban fireworks nationally, saying that without one, it is impossible to stop people setting them off at a local level.

In total, 12 towns and cities had imposed local bans, while hundreds of others had set up firework free zones.

Nijmegen mayor Hubert Bruls, who chairs the 25-city safety council, said the lack of a national ban meant cities which do want to stop consumer fireworks ‘are playing a game it is impossible to win’. In Nijmegen the ban was also ignored.

‘If we really want to change something in the way we celebrate New Year, it will happen slowly,’ he said. A national ban, he told broadcaster NOS, would lead to ‘more celebratory and appropriate ways of bringing in the New Year’.

Meanwhile, justice minister Dilan Yeşilgöz has condemned the way emergency service workers were attacked in some parts of the country. In The Hague, for example, police officers were pelted with glass and fireworks and, according to police chief Henk van Essen, 12 had to be treated for a variety of injuries.

‘The firework tradition has become one in which every year police officers end up injured or with hearing damage,’ he said. ‘It makes me very angry, and we have to come up with a better way of celebrating the New Year.’

Injuries

The specialist eye hospital in Rotterdam said on Monday morning it had treated 25 people who had firework-related injuries, the youngest of whom was a seven year old boy.

Seven of the victims had to undergo an operation, the hospital told news website Nu.nl.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Uncategorized
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Dutch tax office to tighten checks after €6.7m DigiD fraud
Council of State: planned rules for political parties go too far
Transgender darts player says ban was based on flawed study
Hantavirus ship Hondius to dock in Rotterdam
Three arrests as national anti-asylum protests draw small crowds
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now