Eurocrisis needs solving ahead of more integration: Dutch PM

Tuesday 05 June 2012

Rutte%20answers%20questions Prime minister Mark Rutte answers questions in parliament.

Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte does not see the need for any current discussion on further economic and political integration within Europe, he said ahead of a visit to the Netherlands by EU president Herman van Rompuy.

In addition, the Netherlands would not be tied to the result of any such plans, Rutte told MPs on Tuesday afternoon. 'This is about the long term and we will judge it and debate it in parliament when it actually happens,' Rutte said.

Nor is it the right time to talk about eurobonds, centralised financing for European banks or a European savings system, the prime minister said. 'I am not a Europhile, but nor am I against European cooperation. But there are major problems we have to solve. You will not solve them by being a Europhile or dropping out.'

Confidence

Rutte was responding to concerns from ChristenUnie and PVV parliamentarians who wanted to know more about reports that plans are being made for greater economic integration between the eurozone countries.

On Monday, Van Rompuy told a meeting in St Petersburg the countries in the currency bloc needed to agree further integration to ensure its survival.

'There is no way back for the euro, there is only the way ahead, for further integration' Van Rompuy is quoted as saying by news agency Reuters. He added that EU leaders hope to have a 'working method to achieve this objective' by the end of this month.

Print-version
News archives

Readers' comments (21)

What does he mean with "There is no way back for the euro, there is only the way ahead". Is he crazy or just stupid ?? There is always a way back, dump the Euro and go back to the Gulder. You would have though that they would already have seen this 12 year ago not now. When he states "hope to have a 'working method to achieve this objective'", are you kidding me. Dump the Euro NOW and take back Nederland !!!

By Rick | June 6, 2012 2:13 AM

Looks like serious back tracking to me from the VVD. They were so pro-euro, they lead us down this path of disillusionment to begin with. Now they want to 'wait and see' - in mid-field, mid-play, in the middle of this huge mess they have gotten us all into. It must be nice to be a politician - just say whatever people want to hear that day and do as little as possible.

The euro is doomed to fail. Spain is begging - begging! - banks to help them today, saying they are in an emergency situation. Looks so sad to me. We are very near the end. 17 June there are elections in Greece.

By Bill | June 6, 2012 6:15 AM

I must say that these days what i fear the most is blind nationalism and empty patriotism. These are the real dangers not the Euro or the Spanish/Greek crisis. Guys please wake up we live in a global world and we need euro to survive in this jungle. The fall of Euro and european project will have devastating consequences for all people living in Europe and the western world. Dont fool yourselves: no european country can survive alone, let alone a small one as NL.
P.s. Bill i can see here that you are from US. But tou are wrong to think that the fall of EU will not affect US.

By Ada | June 6, 2012 11:12 AM

I think this is simply a math problem: as long as 1 uitkering + 1 uitkering=
a),b),c),d) 2 cars
e)2 cars + 1 brommer
f)2 cars + 2 brommers
g)3 cars !!!!!! ( starting today)
and
1 salaris+ 1 salaris = 1 x 1,2 L 1998 auto

there will be a problem...
But who cares about math today...

By R. Smits | June 6, 2012 8:13 PM

@Bill: You're so right. Isn't it interesting how Rutte is changing his tune now that elections are coming up? He is a horrible, horrible person and I'm so very glad to be back home in Canada. Though our Prime Minister is a Lego-haired dummy, I can tolerate him A LOT more than Rutte. Good luck in the NL, Bill, I will miss your thought provoking posts :D

By Stupid | June 6, 2012 8:28 PM

Why are taxpayers in the Euro-zone allowing our governments to get away with this, Governments have so far injected "unprecedented" levels of public money into banks - the European Commission approved 4.5 trillion euros of state aid - 37% of EU GDP - between October 2008 and October 2011. LET THE BANKS FAIL, THEY ARE NOT STATE OWNED.

By Highlander | June 6, 2012 10:32 PM

Stupid: muchos gracias! have a great life back in Canada; I wish I had a Canadian passport man. I believe Canada still has a strong social system and a government that actually does care about the poeple living there.
I hope I'm wrong about the euro. It's future does not look good. I also realize that if the euro collapses it will affect economies all around the world, and that would leave Europe with a bad global reputation for decades to come. It's a real shame just how badly the entire EU and euro has been planned and implemented from the beginning. This already sends a message out to the world about Europe. I hope all EU citizens realize that.

By Bill | June 7, 2012 6:43 AM

Stupid: Thanks again for your compliment on my comments, I really appreciate it. I have the feeling many people who want to continue fooling themselves and each other do not appreciate my comments - and this exactly why I continue to post them. I hope we can all stop fooling ourselves and playing silly time wasting games, before it's too late and all the earth's resources are gone and there are too many people on the planet and no jobs or food for them. This is the reality of what is coming towards us all very quickly now. I wish I could pretend also that it's not happening - but it is, and I cannot 'pretend' and forget about it.

By Bill | June 7, 2012 7:03 AM

Ugh...Stupid, I don't like either, but at least Rutte can't cause too much damage. Harper is too fascist for me...he's scary.

But I tend to agree with Ada most of all...

By CW | June 7, 2012 8:21 AM

In order to solve the euro crisis you will have to have further integration. How can you say it is not the time to talk about the solution to the problem but rather to solve the problem? If Europe in the globalized world is nothing more than a bunch of countries, each with their own currency, then Europe has virtually no clout! The U.S., Russia, China, Brazil and India will rule the world economy and Holland will be nothing more than small state on the fringe. Is that what you want to go with the Gilder?

By David | June 7, 2012 9:29 AM

The Euro is a joke, we do not need it to survive, what we need is nation states with there own culture, own laws, own borders controls, own currency & greater trade with less regulation, we do not need the EU political class, the EU flag or the stupid EU anthem.

The reason Europe has been so successful over 600 years is competition between nation states, of course we need to make sure there are no more wars but I hardly think creating the useless EU is the answer, in fact the EU is doing the opposite, it is creating hate between countries, the Greeks are already calling Germany Nazi's and the far right is rising fast.

By Phil | June 7, 2012 10:17 AM

Thanks, Bill! You're welcome to visit any time :D And to CW: Rutte can't do much damage anymore, but he certainly did enough of it in the few years he was in office! I miss Jack Layton, I think he really could have been Prime Minister of Canada.

And to Phil, oh Phil. Please read David's comment again, he's got it spot on. You seem to want to revert to the past and I'm sorry but that's just not possible anymore. It's time to think of modern solutions to our modern problems and do as Bill suggests and stop pulling the wool over our eyes and have hissy fits because of the outcomes we are dealing with now that are the result of mistakes made in the past. Life has no save button and you can't go back, so please stop fooling yourself into thinking you can. You'll be much happier this way.

By Stupid | June 7, 2012 6:31 PM

Rutte's damage was more caused by INaction rather than action (unless you believe butt-kissing is an action). ;)

And totally agree about Jack. I really miss him...

Phil wants to revert to an imaginary past, I fear...and still can't get it through his head that it's people like HIM that contribute to hate, not the EU. Closing borders will just lead to less understanding and trust between countries. But Phil won't be afraid of anyone different than him if he doesn't have to see them, I guess....

By CW | June 7, 2012 6:57 PM

It has taken since 1971 for us to get to this state. Since the move to a fully-fiat, debt based monetary system both debt (government, banking and private) and government spending have grown to historical record breaking levels. Both the banking system and governments are hopelessly bankrupt. One-by-one the nations are going to go bankrupt and take the banking system with them. They will print unlimited currency to save both government and the banks, because they will have no choice.

By Highlander | June 7, 2012 10:00 PM

Phil - you want each country to have its "own laws, own borders controls, own currency" and at the same time "greater trade with less regulation". So, how is "greater trade and less regulation" going to occur with each country having its "own laws, own borders controls, own currency"? Each country having its own border control and other laws leads to overlap and conflict of laws, and thus MORE regulation. All the EU does is set down rules for solving conflicts between different national rules on border controls and laws affecting trade.

By Rob | June 8, 2012 11:09 AM

Sorry David, but Holland already is a small state on the fringe of the EU, so what's the difference?

By Jo | June 8, 2012 12:03 PM

Ada is right. The euro crisis is already causing turmoil on US stock markets. US unemployment numbers only seem better as many have exhausted all their benefits or have given up searching for a job. Food stamps, welfare and assistance programs are having major difficulties providing basic essentials to the poor. U.S. student loan debt surpassed the total amount of credit card debt, student loan debts in US are now over One Trillion Dollars. The poor & elderly are cutting back needed medicine & medical care. Yes, the euro crisis is definitely affecting everything here in the US & will be even worse if they fail to do something constructive to save their precious euro.

By diane | June 8, 2012 4:09 PM

Frankly, few here give two hoots about the effect of the Eurozone on the US economy, and vice versa - so can we cut to the chase here?

It is right to limit further Schengenesque integration. Those countries in line to join the Eurozone are increasingly unsuitable to join. An example: an educated, experienced professional in (the likes of) Romania earns just under a thousand euros (gross) a month - here it's 5-10 times higher: this should indicate what the average/maunal worker receive. Greece would feel like a walk in the park compared to the problems the aspirant countries have the potential to bring.

By osita | June 8, 2012 8:57 PM

@Stupid- you have your ideas and I have mine I guess, Nation states have worked well for 600 years & now everything is screwing up big time, doesn't this speak for itself?

@CW-I do not fear anyone, except maybe my mum :).. And closing the borders is favoured by most people & this is still a democracy so get over it, it feels to me that u lack understanding of people like me.

By Phil | June 9, 2012 10:20 AM

@Phil: IF most people feel that closing the borders is the right idea it is most likely because they are IGNORANT, and their politicians have done a poor job explaining the crisis to them, while unscrupulous populists such as Geert Wilders prey on their valid fears. Have Nation-states worked well for 600 years? Really Phil? For someone that goes on and on about a so-called Dutch culture, and European culture you actually might want to pick up a history book and read some of the chapters on war. Hundreds of millions of people have died because the insane ideals of Nationalism, the very ideals you constantly espouse.

By Kevin | June 10, 2012 3:11 PM

@Kevin- What has the EU brought us so far? The rise of the far right & out of control immigration.

By phil | June 12, 2012 12:12 PM