Ministers have doubts about Zandvoort Formula 1 racing plan

Ministers have doubts about Zandvoort Formula 1 racing plan

Last week's report about the possibility of bringing Formula 1 racing back to the Zandvoort race track contains 'too many uncertainties', sports minister Bruno Bruins told parliament in a briefing on Thursday. The report, commissioned by the town council and track organisers, said there are no insurmountable organisational, technical or logistical reasons why Formula 1 racing could not return to Zandvoort. The last Grand Prix was held at the track, in the heart of the coastal dunes, in 1985 and was won by Niki Lauda. The town council voted in 2015 to try to bring the race back to the Netherlands. Bruins described the report as an 'initial exploration' of the issues and said that he would not yet ask the Dutch sports council for its advice. The town council and track owners first plan to talk to the Formula 1 organisation and the international motor sports association FIA before taking any further steps. 'I will wait for that to happen,' Bruins said.  More >