Dutch skin cancer death rate among highest in EU

Monday 19 November 2012

The Netherlands has one of the highest rates of death from skin cancer in the European Union, according to new Eurostat figures quoted by news agency ANP.

The Eurostat figures show 3.6 per 100,000 Dutch nationals die of skin cancer. Only Slovenia has a higher death rate, at 4.1.

By contrast, in Germany and Luxembourg the figure is 2.1, in France two and in Spain 1.5 per 100,000.

The death rate is also going up more quickly in the Netherlands than in surrounding countries. Only Ireland and Slovenia show a faster increase, the figures show.

Are you a sun worshipper? Share your thoughts using the comment box below.

Doesn't surprise me, considering what I normally see in the parks and the beaches over here in summer (not to mention in beach holiday destinations) of dutch people seemengly "allergic" to using sun cream and bright red as it comes from too much sun...

By Pablok | 19 November 2012 2:36 PM

The death rate is also going up more (quickly in the Netherlands than in surrounding countries. Only Ireland and Slovenia show a faster increase, the figures show.)
Would that be due to involuntary euthanasia? as recently reported...

By Highlander | 19 November 2012 2:51 PM

This doesn't surprise me at all. The majority of dutch people do not think that there is any danger. I have had so many discussions about this. Mothers who do not protect their children are rife here.

By Heather Hennessey | 19 November 2012 3:40 PM

Must be the intense sun in the Netherlands...

By Flavio van Vanessen | 19 November 2012 4:08 PM

No I am not a sun worshiper. I do enjoy the sun and love being out in it but I do take care to have lotion,sun glasses, and hat on.

By dee | 19 November 2012 4:17 PM

So we are all to understand that the sun is the direct cause? I think not..

I'm pretty sure that skin cancer is more common due to the 'effect' of the sun due to the pesticides & heavy metal particles in our bodies. Polluted air & food, accidental, oh really?

You can be sure that it's more profitable to treat cancer than to find out the real cause.

Cancer for big pharma has never done better for profit.. :P (Hemp oil, what's that, never heard of it.)

By The visitor | 19 November 2012 4:17 PM

Of course skin cancer and perhaps cancer in general would be high.
They have zero prevention measures!

When I asked my dermatologist to check for sun-spots he barley gave a glance at one spot and didn't even do a full check.

And when I requested my GP to do some blood tests for prevention measures. The reply was "Only if you feel not well I can test for something. Is something hurting?"

I was in shock!
Sun-spot checks and blood tests are key as prevention measures. Without them there is no warning before it's too late.

By Yaron | 19 November 2012 4:35 PM

Unfortunately, far too many 'SuperSlecht' husiarts.

By Gerard | 19 November 2012 4:36 PM

Seriously? Like, you have real sun in Nl at most 3 weeks a year...

By Stephanie | 19 November 2012 6:33 PM

Sunbeds ??? fair skin and middle of the day is not good.

By Siobhan | 19 November 2012 7:49 PM

I am pretty sure if I ask my doctor about sun protection she will give paracetamol !!!

By N | 19 November 2012 8:24 PM

@Yaron, I agree. It is impossible here to get your GP to recognise or treat skin cancer since it doesn't hurt. I think more people die here from skin cancer because it is only 'discovered' when it is too late. In Australia and New Zealand this would never happen, and there they have real sunshine and ozone holes.

By jaycee | 19 November 2012 8:45 PM

I completely agree with Yaron and Gerard. There is no preventive medicine in this country in general, and when one goes to the ´huisarts´ for a health issue, they do not seem to care about it. The majority of the ´arts´ are not able to even provide an accurate diagnosis.

By esccritora | 19 November 2012 8:47 PM

We stay at home mostly as there is so little sun here. Mostly lots of wind, cloud & rain. How can the skin cancer be getting worse if the sun becomes less?
Is it really safe to use those artificial suntan lotions and lamps?

By Mr.Fussmucker | 19 November 2012 8:49 PM

It also has to do with the Dutch obsession of avoiding specialist doctors. A periodic monitoring of your moles and skin 'spots' can prevent the worst cases to progress, but of course that would mean to have a normal health system...

By Jacopo | 20 November 2012 7:55 AM

There's a tanning bed salon on every corner in Amsterdam. Clearly, demand is high for artificial UV rays when the Dutch can't get the real thing. It's a national obsession to be tanned.

By Amanda | 20 November 2012 10:03 AM

The rate is still less than half that of the death rate from skin cancer in Australia - a country where sun protection is jammed down children's throats from infancy.

By MissNeriss | 20 November 2012 11:30 AM

When I moved to the Netherlands I was amazed the the sheer number of suntanning salons. This is not surprising news.

By SteveC | 20 November 2012 2:17 PM

There are more zonnestudios where I lived than any other business. I rest my case.

By Kaccie Li | 20 November 2012 2:48 PM

MissNeriss, in Australia most of the skin cancers are in people of my generation (mid 50's) who never knew when they were young of the dangers of suntanning, myself being one of them. These days most of us cover up, put on sun screen and avoid the midday sun. Children at school have a "no hat no play" rule and most people wear a hat in the sun. Our sun is a wonderful assett to our country, but most of us are now much more aware of the dangers and try to be careful. Unfortunately the damage from the past cannot be undone and is now coming out.

By Marianne Lloyd | 21 November 2012 5:34 AM