Shopkeepers expect record spending this Christmas

Tuesday 18 December 2012

Despite the economic crisis, shopkeepers in the Netherlands expect record sales this Christmas, according to retail group Detailhandel Nederland.

In total, retailers expect us to spend €790m extra this month, up €5m on 2010’s record expenditure.

Spending is up in particular on clothes, as people treat themselves to a new outfit, and buy presents such as tablet computers.

‘Christmas is a tradition, a special feast that has been celebrated for centuries,’ said the retail group’s director Sander van Golberdinge. ‘People won’t let that be taken away from them.’

Are you planning to make a splash this Christmas? Share your thoughts using the comment box below.

Sorry (or not?) to disappoint the shopkeepers but I have bought all my Christmas presents during trips abroad.
In here I spent about 30-40 euros for buying packaging, cards and stamps.
Christmas is just another occasion to avoid buying in Holland and to take my money where I get what I want, including a nice smile from the shop-assistants (yes, I pay for it and I want it).

By joanna | 18 December 2012 11:23 AM

Nah, its austerity measures all the way ,in true European spirit.

By kiwi | 18 December 2012 2:19 PM

What a despicable comment from Sander van Golberdinge. Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Christ, there is no need for all of the wreckless spending and extra debt that will cause misery for so many over the next year.

By Me | 18 December 2012 3:22 PM

Other than food, I don't intend to buy anything in the Netherlands for Christmas. When retailers stop charging such high prices or just selling crap cheaply, along with giving good customer service and decent opening times, I will consider it. Until then, all purchases I make will be done from abroad.

By Quest | 18 December 2012 8:03 PM

I just had some more hard financial news; it's a full on Scrooge solstice at my house.

By Mark Holden | 18 December 2012 10:47 PM

Christmas spending spree? Lol, just wait till the announcement of the record amount of money 'burnt' on fireworks!

I can watch a good fireworks display any time of year, it's called a screen saver.

What better than to wait, save your hard to come by cash until freezing February & then bugger off to the tropics for a month!

I do like Christmas, but not all that mindless showing off & expense: staying in NL with family ;)

By The visitor | 19 December 2012 4:09 AM

Christmas was a pagan holiday long before the Christians got a hold of it and it will be a pagan holiday long after the Christians are done with it.

In our living room we enjoy a coniferous tree's lush scent to ward off the evil spirits.

By Puck | 19 December 2012 8:51 AM

Well it looks like they did not post the comment that I made yesterday. But it looks like most of you feel the same way that I do. I go abroad to buy everything that I can. The stores here are terrible and the staff in rude. They dont even provide you with a bathroom. The items are WAY to overpriced and have a terrible quality. I will not spend my money in a shop that treats me bad. I wish they would stop with the we don't need you...You need us attitude...We can close them!!!! The customer has the power NL!!!

By Destiny | 19 December 2012 11:56 AM

Well the Netherlands wont be making much money out of me either. All my extra Christmas shopping has been done either in the USA or Germany, places where I can expect friendly and competant service and reasonable prices.

By Pete | 19 December 2012 2:10 PM