Frisian households are the most generous

Monday 03 December 2012

Households in Friesland give an average €11.10 to door-to-door charity collectors, making them the most generous in the country, according to fund-raising umbrella group CBF.

The least generous are in Limburg, where donations average €5.31.

In total, charity collectors raised nearly €50m last year, down slightly on the 2010 total.

The people of Urk, a staunchly Protestant small town, were the most generous in terms of local authority area, with an average in donations of €47.36.

The CBF did not publish a list of the meanest local council areas.

Do you give to charity? Have your say using the comment box below.

I don't think we can conclude who is the most generous based on who gives most to door-to-door collectors. It is only a small part of charity.

By pepe | 3 December 2012 3:33 PM

My conscious is clear, I do give to 1 charity, so if any other wants me to give to them, I say no, one is enough.

By almorr | 3 December 2012 6:22 PM

Since regular trips to a third world country, I give directly to those in need, that what I can miss at the time.

I trust the people that stand on the street collecting, but not where the money ends up, no way!

'Hope this link is enlightening, don't be conned, let the guv donate from our taxes, cheers!

By The I-love-shopping-visitor | 3 December 2012 8:31 PM

Since when is generosity measured by what you give at the door? I never give to charity collectors because I give enough to charities directly. Does that make me mean? Thought not.

By groverpm | 4 December 2012 8:06 AM

In my town we get too many people at our doors collecting for charity, some via collection boxes, some wanting us to sign up and pay monthly donations from our bank and lots of school based charity collections, often 3 or 4 in a week. Yes I do selectively give to charity however I would rather not receive unsolicitated callers, although I do find it difficult to say no to the kids on my doorstep. Despite my misgivings I am sure my families annual contribution to various doorstep collectors well exceeds the figures specified above.

By Expat Noord Holland | 4 December 2012 1:34 PM

I used to give, but nowadays I just don't trust charities. Too many executives with absolutely ridiculous salaries and bonuses.

Of course: their job is irregular and demanding, and so they deserve an excellent salary. But they exaggerate this need tremendously (plenty who earn even more than the Balkenende norm, for instance), and bonuses should go entirely for them. That's just plain immoral, taking so much from charity money, and I refuse to fatten their bank accounts.

By Someone | 4 December 2012 9:12 PM