Plans to sell Nazi camp barbed wire dropped after protests
Wednesday 28 November 2012
The foundation in charge of a former Nazi concentration camp in the Netherlands has scrapped plans to sell pieces of barbed wire dug up at the site following protests from Jewish groups.
The Kamp Amersfoort foundation said the sale of 50 pieces of wire for €10 each would not now go ahead. The sale had been planned to raise money to finance an exhibition of artefacts found at the site.
'It seems we have hurt people and that was not our intention,' director Harry Ruijs told news agency AFP.
Jewish groups had described the planned sale as 'completely tasteless and lacking in respect'.
Up to 40,000 people passed through the camp during World War II, of whom at least half were deported to death camps, AFP said.
More on this
The right decision? Use the comment form below to share your views.