DutchNews.nl - DutchNews.nl brings daily news from The Netherlands in English 19 May 2026
Newsletter Donate Advertise
  • News
  • Life in the Netherlands
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
  • Search
  • Home
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Art and culture
  • Sport
  • Europe
  • Society
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Housing
  • Education
  • News
    • Home
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Art and culture
    • Sport
    • Europe
    • Society
    • Environment
    • Health
    • Housing
    • Education
  • Life in the Netherlands
    • Latest
    • Opinion
    • Books
    • Travel
    • 10 Questions
    • Learning Dutch
    • Inburgering with DN
    • Food & Drink
    • Ask us anything
  • Jobs
  • Partner content
  • Podcast
  • Advertise
  • About us
    • Donate
    • Team
    • Advertise
    • Contact us
    • Writing for Dutch News
    • Privacy
    • Newsletter
  • Search

Ploumen plans international safe abortion fund to offset Trump ban

January 25, 2017
Foreign trade and international co-operation minister Lilianne Ploumen.
Photo: Dutch ministry of foreign affairs (BuZa)

International development minister Lilianne Ploumen has proposed setting up an international safe abortion fund to mitigate the effect of US president Donald Trump’s so-called ‘Global Gag Rule’.

The foreign affairs ministry said Ploumen was ‘deeply disappointed’ in Trump’s decision to withdraw around $600 million in funding for groups that assist with or advocate abortion around the world.

‘This will have far-reaching consequences,’ said Ploumen. ‘Banning abortion doesn’t lead to fewer abortions. It leads to more irresponsible backstreet practices and a higher death rate among mothers.’

She went on: ‘Last year alone Dutch support for women’s organisations helped to prevent an estimated six million unwanted pregnancies and half a million abortions. The decision by the United States threatens to undermine these results. We mustn’t let that happen.’

One of the organisations affected, Marie Stopes International, has predicted that Trump’s move will result in 6.5 million unwanted pregnancies, 2.2 million unsafe abortions and the deaths of 21,700 young mothers in the next four years.

Ploumen said she would take the lead in setting up an alternative fund to support safe abortions ‘in order to compensate this financial blow as far as possible.’ NOS reported that she would be contacting fellow ministers in Europe and Latin America this week in a fundraising drive.

The Dutch government has not said how much money it is prepared to commit to such a fund.

In one of his first acts as president, Trump signed an executive order on Monday reinstating the Mexico City Policy, also known as the Global Gag Rule, which bans funding for any group that offers abortions or provides abortion advocacy. The policy was first introduced by the Reagan administration in 1984 and has been repealed and reinstated by successive Democratic and Republican governments. President Obama last rescinded it in 2009.

Share this article Add DutchNews to Google
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Reddit
  • Copy URL
Politics
Thank you for donating to DutchNews.nl.

We could not provide the Dutch News service, and keep it free of charge, without the generous support of our readers. Your donations allow us to report on issues you tell us matter, and provide you with a summary of the most important Dutch news each day.

Make a donation
Latest
Show more
Jetten sends in expert team to councils hit by anti-asylum riots
Air-raid sirens to fall silent from 2028 as cabinet cuts funding
Long queues continue at Schiphol as security firms change hands
Dutch tax office to tighten checks after €6.7m DigiD fraud
Council of State: planned rules for political parties go too far
NewsHomeEconomyPoliticsArt and cultureSportEuropeSocietyEnvironmentHealthHousingEducation
Life in the NetherlandsLatestOpinionBooksTravel10 QuestionsLearning DutchInburgering with DNFood & DrinkAsk us anything
Partner content
Advertise
About usDonateTeamAdvertiseContact usWriting for Dutch NewsPrivacyNewsletter
© 2026 DutchNews | Cookie settings

Help us to keep providing you with up-to-date news about this month's Dutch general election.

Our thanks to everyone who donates regularly to Dutch News. It costs money to produce our daily news service, our original features and daily newsletters, and we could not do it without you.

If you have not yet made a donation, or did so a while ago, you can do so via these links

The DutchNews.nl team

Donate now

Dutchnews Survey

Please help us making DutchNews.nl a better read by taking part in a short survey.

Take part now