Facebook Twitter Linkedin Google Plus Tell a Friend
Home| Columns| Features| International| In Dutch| Dictionary| What's On| Jobs| Housing| Expats| Blogs| Books
 
 
««« previousnext »»»

Gambling addict sues Holland Casino for letting him play

Friday 22 August 2014

A gambling addict from Leerdam is suing the state-owned casino operator Holland Casino for failing to ban him from their premises.

The man claims he was allowed into the casino in Utrecht despite having two banning orders and then lost more than €1m at the tables, the Volkskrant said. The banning orders were issued in 2002 and 2006. Both were relinquished after the man said he learned from his mistakes.

The man, who says he has lost his job and friends and owes large sums of money, is claiming damages from the casino group for allowing him to play again.

'Despite the bans and the limitations, Holland Casino had a pattern of repeatedly allowing him in to gamble,' the man's lawyer Michou Dessing said.

The casino group disputes the claim and has refused to pay the 35-year-old damages. The court case opened in Utrecht on Friday.

Judges

There have been several previous attempts by gambling addicts to sue the casino group for failing to keep them off the premises. At least two cases have failed but in 2011, judges did partially in one addict’s favour.

Holland Casino is a state-owned monopoly and has the legal obligation to prevent gamblers from becoming addicted. Last year it issued almost 4,000 banning orders, most of which were on the request of the gambler themselves.

The Dutch gambling market is set to be liberalised in 2015.

© DutchNews.nl



 


 
comments powered by Disqus
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Newsletter| RSS| Advertising| Business services| Mobile| Friends| Privacy| Contact| About us| Tell a Friend
Apartments for rent Rondvaart - Amsterdam