Two-thirds of the Dutch feel European, says EU survey

Monday 25 February 2013

By the end of last year, 67% of Dutch nationals felt European, compared with 60% at the start of 2012, according to the latest Eurobarometer survey.

But youngsters are less likely to feel European than the over-55s and working class people are less likely to feel an affinity for Europe than the middle classes, website nu.nl reported.

The Dutch are around the EU average in terms of feeling European. Luxemburg tops the ranking - 87% of its nationals say they belong to the EU. More than 70% of Germans, Poles and Spanish nationals are also positive.

The survey also shows confidence in the euro is slumping. Just 26% of the Dutch now consider the euro to be a positive effect of the EU, but this is still above the EU average of 18%.

How European do you feel? Take part in our new poll

How come the EU and Europe are constantly used interchangeably? I certainly feel European, but I don't belong in the EU - I'm Norwegian.

By Ingvild | 25 February 2013 4:00 PM

what a NON item! How can you NOT be 'European' if you ARE 'European'. Waste of bloody money.
Let's ask American borns if they feel 'American'... grrrrrr!

By Caroline | 25 February 2013 4:46 PM

I feel more European than ever giving all commotion around our currency. My income dropped by 25% just because of that. My pension went down and now the government adjusted my retirement age.
I feel it a lot !

By Leo Gerritsen | 25 February 2013 5:03 PM

If I am half Irish, one quarter Austrian, one quarter Slovak, and born and raised in NYC, how do I identify? All of the above. DUH!

By Janka | 25 February 2013 5:25 PM

Feel European? Europe is nothing more than a location of several countries bonded together for financial reasons that have gone terribly wrong though lack of insight & greed, what is there to be proud about?

It's just another label that bears no weight, sigh..

This article shows only tribalism & yellow journalism. I don't belong to any tribe, creed, country or sect.

I will not be filed, stamped, cataloged, indexed or numbered: I am a free man & my loyalty shall always be with family & friends, cheers!

By The visitor | 25 February 2013 8:32 PM

The statement holds true when we are talking about the feeling for being just a European, but that does not meant politically and economically, Europe needs more integration itself. Take as an example during the crises people felt nationalism

By Moh Elmi | 25 February 2013 9:24 PM

And you know why more people feel 'European'? Because they are starting to realize that 'Europe' is dragging them down.

By HenkV | 26 February 2013 3:15 AM

What was the question?
Do you feel that you are european?
Do you feel that you are more european than Dutch?

By Rollo from Belgium | 26 February 2013 9:14 AM

the last third are foreigners with Dutch nationality

By expat | 26 February 2013 9:29 AM

so ummmm, the Eurobarometer survey is asking people that live in the Netherlands, which is clearly in Europe and always has been in Europe, if they 'feel' European. Ah ok sure. Makes me wonder sometimes about things over here and how people's minds work.

By Z | 26 February 2013 1:13 PM

No Z, the Eurobarometer survey is asking people who live in Europe. Eurobarometer isn't Dutch, it is part of the European Commission.

By pepe | 28 February 2013 1:54 PM