Stolen Dutch bikes end up abroad

Friday 15 February 2013

Belgium, Germany and even Spain are common destinations for bikes stolen in the Netherlands, according to the bike theft expertise centre in the Telegraaf.

Dutch bikes have a unique frame number making it virtually impossible to sell them on, spokesman Mojgan Yavari told the Telegraaf. Checks on bike dealers have also been increased making it much more likely they will be caught.

Organised criminal gangs have taken over from junkies as the biggest thieves, Yavari said. 'We are talking about gangs who shift hundreds of bikes at a time, largely to Belgium,' he said.

The new situation requires a European-wide system of registration numbers, Yavari said.

Efforts to reduce bike theft are paying off. In 2008, 735,000 bikes were reported stolen but by 2011 the total had fallen to 450,000, the Telegraaf said.

Efforts to reduce bike theft are paying off??? Yeah, right. Same as marktplaats frauds. Since the Police act deaf to people' complains and do just nothing to catch frauds, people are not reporting it anymore. ...and statistics look optimistic.
I myself was stolen over 300 Euro and the Police closed the case. WTF?

By Jakub | 15 February 2013 4:46 PM

my bike was stolen in 2012 and i did not report. there must be thousands like me

By rahul | 16 February 2013 1:11 AM

When I arrived In Holland I bought a bike..well when in Rome.A few weeks later it was stolen.I went to report it to the police and they told me not to waste their time and ''in Holland when someone steals your bike you go steal another one''All this took place in a police station at the main desk.

By Jason | 16 February 2013 12:32 PM

How do you expect us to make a living if you condone bike theft?

By Allah Wackba | 17 February 2013 11:38 PM

The level of bike theft is down dramatically on what it was 10 years ago. It used to be normal to get offered bikes in the centre of Amsterdam. 25 guilders was the going rate back in the day. I have not been offered a bike for years.. and I have not had a bike stolen for just as long. Btw.. the police would be wasting their time investigating individual bike thefts so quit whinging. They should be dealing with far more important matters like arresting expats for their coke habits!

By Oisin | 18 February 2013 3:12 PM

I call bullshit... Nowhere in Spain I've seen dutch style bikes being ridden....another case of blaming someone else for the passivity police and the authorities display for bike theft in this country... as I always tell visitors bike theft is a national passtime.

By Pkim | 18 February 2013 7:21 PM