Ikea withdraws meatballs from Dutch stores in horse meat scare

Monday 25 February 2013

Swedish furniture giant Ikea has withdrawn frozen meatballs from its food department after traces of horse meat were found in meatballs in the Czech Republic.

Meatballs are still for sale in the restaurants because they come from another source, news agency ANP said.

IKEA is a Dutch company

By Bruce | 25 February 2013 4:12 PM

Ikea is a SWEDISH company my friend

By TheDude | 25 February 2013 6:00 PM

@Bruce, IKEA is only a Dutch company when the news is negative. In positive news items IKEA is of course Swedish.
Same goes for Shell. When the news is negative, then it is Royal Dutch Shell. Positive news about Shell (very rare of course) then it is the Anglo-Dutch company.

By pepe | 25 February 2013 6:29 PM

Don't worry folks, before the horse meat is added to your meatballs, the shoes and saddle are removed. ;)

I used to bet on the horses in the UK many moons ago, now I'm betting there's a lot more horse meat in other meat products that's yet to surface.

What's next, dog meat? .. Oh no, that's Asia, phew!

By The visitor | 25 February 2013 8:53 PM

I thought IKEA is Sweden company?

By putulie | 25 February 2013 11:25 PM

No. The IKEA trademarks are owned by a Dutch company purely for tax evasion purposes. It is a Swedish company.

By Rob | 26 February 2013 9:21 AM

are you serious? the first word of the article is 'swedish'.

By jason | 26 February 2013 10:57 AM

Why to withdraw? Just put a sticker on it that it might contain horse meat. I don't care. It tastes good and that is the only thing I find important.

BTW: just sell it with a discount. I will line up for it.

By Zuzu | 26 February 2013 11:28 PM