The queen's abdication speech in full

Monday 28 January 2013

Queen Beatrix broke the news of her abdication in a short speech. This is an unofficial translation.

As you all know, in a few days from now I hope to celebrate my 75th birthday. I am thankful to be able to do so in good health. At the end of this year, we will commemorate the fact that our country became a monarchy 200 years ago, an event which heralded a new era in our history.

The two events together have brought me to the decision to abdicate this year. It seems to me the time is ripe to take this step, which I have been contemplating for some years now.

I have always considered it a special privilege to have spent a large portion of my life in the service of our country and in fulfilling the task of monarch. Prince Claus, for many years, was my great support.

This wonderful task has never given me anything but great satisfaction. It has been inspiring to have been involved with the lives of people, to share their grief and to experience moments of joy and national pride. I have met with the same warmth and sympathy from the people in the Caribbean parts of our kingdom.

I do not abdicate, therefore, because the task has become an onerous one, but because I am convinced the responsibility for our country should now be placed in the hands of a new generation.

It is with a feeling of the highest confidence that on the 30th of April I will hand over the crown to my son, the prince of Orange. He and princess Máxima are fully prepared for their future task. They will serve the country devotedly, keep it according to the constitution and use their many talents to make the monarchy their own.

I feel heartened in the knowledge that my abdication does not mean I will have to say goodbye to you. I hope to meet many of you again in the future. I am deeply grateful for your faith in me during the many wonderful years I have been privileged enough to be your queen.

This is an unofficial translation

A gracious Lady ... not many of this dignity remain ... I wish her a happy retirement.

By warren offutt | 28 January 2013 10:22 PM

The Netherlands was a richer country because of her and her husband - and I'm sure that blessing wil continue with Willem-Alexander and Maxima. Gefeliciteered!

By Christopher Vipond Davies | 29 January 2013 10:32 PM

I love when she said this:
“I am deeply grateful for your faith in me during the many wonderful years I have been privileged enough to be your Queen.”
A true gracious Queen.

By Wallace Junhui | 30 January 2013 10:15 AM

It is the blessing for the Dutch people that they have such a good Queen. May the blessing continues.

By ufo | 30 January 2013 11:02 AM

After the very informal and motherly way her mother Queen Juliana acted, she gave royalty the majestic polish back. Nevertheless she is always smiling sincerely or showing her heartfelt compassion. And however the displays showed to her might be always the same, she still showed admiration toe the effords made. Her royal.ways of behaving will be hard to match tor her son.

By dutch 1961r | 30 January 2013 4:16 PM

As gracious and sincere as Mother teresa was herself!

By AndyT | 30 January 2013 5:24 PM

Beatrix was and still is a wonderful monarch. She makes me proud or our small country!

By Els Bucknell | 30 January 2013 6:14 PM

I am proud to be of Dutch heritage and actually have been born in Holland in 1937, so I grew up with the Queen while she was a nice little Princess, I have always and still been very proud of the Dutch Royal Family, have attended several Queens Days as well, as a now American Citizen I wish Beatrix a great and wonderful retirement that she deserves and I welcome the chance to say congratulations Prince William Alexander, Let God be your guide Congratulation to Hollands King.

By John Van Der Bas | 30 January 2013 7:28 PM

A very well written speach, I think she was a mother like personality for dutch people.

By Babar Lasi | 30 January 2013 11:36 PM